Trying to keep things as light as possible for this damn blog I thought I would get festive for St. Patties Day!
Alright enough with the fun:) I know you all want to know what I have tried to keep the BV away and not just see me say over and over everything. I understand and apologize but I have tried it all. I have become that women who is no longer googling for options, I find it laughable when a friend suggests something as simple yet genius as a pro-biotic. With that said I will tell you what I have tried and how each has worked for me. I would also love to hear what has worked for you and to be clear I really do think that something that may not work for me might just be exactly what another woman needs.
To back track just a moment for anyone who did not read my original blog "The great bacterial vaginosis roller-coaster" I am a week shy of my 30th birthday and have been suffering with chronic BV for over 8 years. I have a great doctor now who while I know she is confused she will make sure we figure this out even if she cant. I have just been referred to an infectious disease specialist and as soon as I have an update regarding that I will post it. Now to the remedies and medications I have tried.
- Lifestyle changes I will admit I used to be a wild one especially in my early 20's I could drink all night eat Del Taco at 2am, sleep all day and do it all over again. While I am now extremely healthy (I do give into the occasional crazy craving) I don't think that has any barring on my situation. I have bouts of BV much more often now that I exercise regularly and have an almost processed food free diet. I promote living healthy and I can see how that plays a roll in keeping BV at bay, it makes sense, but not for me.
- Condoms - I was on birth control for almost 10 years and I have been off for almost 5. My husband has been my only partner in the last 12 years. We have been told to use condoms to prevent BV, hasn't helped at all. Over the last 5 years we have been using the "pull out & pray" method with no difference in preventing or causing BV. In the last 8 months we have been trying to conceive (we were successful in the first month but I had a miscarriage at 3 months) So were having good old fashioned sex and I have not noticed a change good or bad with regards to BV.
- Prescriptions Oral - Metronidazole/Flagyl, clindamycin, Tindamax (orally) - All of these medications work while I am taking them however my BV comes back within days or weeks of the last dose.
- Prescriptions Vaginal - Metro-gel & Clindamycin again these worked for the time it was used. I have also been prescribed the oral and vaginal medications at the same time & again while it would go away for a while it always comes back.
- Over the Counter - VH BV (homeopathic) pills & Vaginal inserts. The pill form I currently take in conjunction with a daily probiotic it seemed to work when I first started it and while now it doesn't seem to hurt it doesn't seem to help anymore. The same goes for the vaginal inserts but it has been a while since I have taken it vaginally so I will give it a go again. (these can be found at your local drugstore & target or Walmart for a pretty penny - DO NOT confuse this with the VH lubricant you can find at the dollar store) RePresh is another brand of pill & vaginal insert form I have tried and they seemed to work for a while but no longer do.
- Acidolophilus with & without bifolus, FEMdolophous and just about any opholous. I also make sure to get a serving of unflavored yogurt with live cultures each day - I think this may help keep the good bacteria alive but I have read studies that suggest the lactobacilli found in yogurt and these probiotics are not the same as the ones our bodies produce.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - I use the organic Bragg's brand you can find it at any health-food store and usually any grocery store super cheap. I drink it daily and have tried the vaginal suppositories (you mix them with two parts water one part ACV and freeze then insert as you get into bed) This has been simply irritating no benefits from the suppositories for me.
- Hydrogen Peroxide Douche - While I found this helpful for making me feel "fresher" for the time being this had no lasting effect it did not kill the bad bacteria.
- Yogurt (vaginally) I have done the tampon in the yogurt and any other way I can get it up there, again it did relieve some of the worst symptoms for the moment and I can see how this would help others it hasn't been a solution for me.
- Vinegar & Water douche - NO benefit for me
- glycerin soap - this hasn't cured anything but it has no dies or harsh chemicals and I don't think it's hurting.
I may be missing some but off the top of my head the above is what comes to mind. Please let me know if you have any questions for me and I will happily respond. I am a girls girl I have a great group of girlfriends and they know what I go through I believe 2 of 8 have had BV and as far as I know they have each had it once. That is NORMAL! I have had one yeast infection in my life that is NORMAL having either on a regular basis is not. My doctor said more than 4 times a year is chronic and not normal. She has only been my doctor for the last 6 months but it took me 7 others to find her. If you have any questions you would like me to take to my trip to the infectious disease doctor post them & believe me I will ask & re-post!
One thing I would like to add is that at this point I think, and rightfully so that my BV is a symptom of something else and not the cause. I had a woman on a medical forum tell me my story was just like hers and her doctor tested her for (don't quote my spelling, EVER) Ureaclampsea & Myclampsia - you can google them. She said she was treated for those and is now cured. I asked my doctor and she said I had been tested ( I have had more tests! if you would like me to post those just ask) She said not only had I been tested for those and do not have them that if I did the treatments are the same as those for BV so... 1+1= 2.
Alright chicka's if you took the time to read this whole blog, God Bless you, you must be going through a tough time. Ask away & Stay tuned!